27 November 2008

Homework

Prompted by reading the latest English Journal from November 2008 some thoughts on homework.


1. My students usually don't do it. The ones who I think "need" to do it are the ones who definitely don't do it.
2. The only clear effect I have seen is a negative effect on grades. This is from when I used to grade homework.
3. Now that I use a policy of "getting homework done" I have found that I still don't see the kids who need to do homework still don't do it.
4. When I gave students choices of penalties for not doing homework they still did not adhere to turning the homework in--my ultimate goal. In this case I gave them 3 choices 1) turn the homework in the next morning with no penalty, 2) I call home and then they turn the homework in, 3) stay after school and get the homework done. I had 3 of the 10 students stay after and 2 of the students turn it in the next day. This rate of 50% doing it in the end is the same as I have always found, no matter what penalty I use.

Interesting ideas from the articles:
  1. Choice of homework. Offer students a choice of what they want to do. For example teach a lesson and during the last 10 minutes have them choose what homework they would like to do to prove that they understand the material. Using this approach my wife suggested some scaffolding where we would show examples of effective student work the next day. I plan to try this approach next week and will report on how it goes.
  2. It isn't the homework but the right homework. It is really important to give the "right" homework so that it is effective for the stated goals. I have been thinking about this over the years but just as I have been more intentional about the right assessments I need to be more intentional about the right kinds of homework.

No comments: