28 July 2023

Timeline of a Job I didn't get

January 2010
My wife saw an ad on EdJobs NH for a position at Souhegan High School. They requested a new Dean of Faculty who could help them continue their mission. They asked for all the traditional things but also a values statement and most interesting--a document explaining how the candidates strengths met the Souhegan mission. It was the most interesting job posting I had seen and the only one in 10 years that I was even mildly interested in.

My mantra throughout my Concord career has been that I would like to advance but I would also very much like to stay in Concord. My wife grew up near Concord, we go to church in Concord, we would like our kids to be educated in Concord. We are currently moving to Concord from nearby Barnstead. So even though the Souhegan opening was interesting I left it alone.

The Non Snow Day Snow Day
In February there was a snow day where it didn't actually snow. This was the day my annual review was scheduled so I decided to drive to town for it. I had worked really hard during the year and my hope was that my assessment job could be turned into a full time one rather than a part time one. The review of my performance was good but there was no way the job could become a full time one.

At this point I began to consider the Souhegan position. I was committed to staying in Concord but I was also interested in obtaining a full time position. I like working all year round. I enjoy using the summer, time off from students to consider how to to help them in a more effective way. Just like

No comments: