14 January 2024

Day 4-7

 So I know I shouldn't start sentence with that but so far this week I've been struggling with classroom management. I've been going back and forth with loose and tight in terms of teaching the students.


 I did something with period 3 and it worked perfectly and then I did the same thing with period 7 and they were all over the place specifically I said I was creating classroom guidelines I really don't want to micromanage going to the bathroom and with. three I said that exact same thing I don't want to micromanage going to the bathroom you shouldn't be needing to go to the bathroom every time or several times during a class and period 3 was able to manage that


I gave the exact same directions. Period 7 and they were unable to manage it. I had multiple students trying to leave and at one point there were seven students out at the bathroom. and as Educators we know they were not out at the bathroom even if they were. hopefully they were not leaving but they were just needed to take a walk.


 Another thing that I've been experiencing is the balance of how much I describe exactly what students need to do and how much I've let them explore what they need to do.


Today I was teaching and I knew it was something really hard like Milankovitch Cycles and then there had to be a lot of talking from the front of the room. I tried to mix it up by using really short videos and then coming in and explain things myself and I'm talking in 2 minutes videos where I would stop at and then I draw on the board. then I would ask them to look at what I was asking them in terms of an assessment and it was just really hard. new line new line


We also talked this morning about an assessment. The current assessment has some matching questions and then some open-ended questions. I can tell you I am completely torn about what to do about Completely torn about what to do about an end of unit assessment. I was brought up on the old fashioned test I totally understand why we have transitioned away from it there are times when I just want to get information about how each student is doing so I have actually thought of as sort of old-fashioned test with multiple choice questions short answer and longer answer at the end I'm not sure what to do about this but it is what I thought about because I want to gather what students know


No comments: